“What kinds of questions can I ask during my Akashic Records reading?” is a question I often hear from new clients. As a spiritual modality, the Akashic Records are different from other tools like the Tarot, runes, or even a pendulum. This means that the Records are well-suited for very specific kinds of questions.
Think of questions as portals. The right question can open a doorway into new perspectives, ways of looking at yourself and your life, and potential solutions to your challenges and issues. This is why asking empowering, open-ended, self-focused questions can take your work with the Akashic Records to the next level.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- what the Akashic Records are, how they work, and what to expect from a reading (you can listen to an in-depth interview with an actual client to get a sense of how a healing session works)
- how to formulate your own questions with a helpful, detailed guide
- 28 sample questions to ask your Akashic Records, whether you’re accessing them yourself or getting a reading
What are the Akashic Records?
The Akashic Records are a storehouse or archive of information about your soul’s journey across time and space (in other words, your soul’s evolutionary journey).
The Records contain the “record” of your soul’s thoughts, deeds, experiences, and traumas in this lifetime and all past lifetimes.
Accessing the Records to retrieve information can help you heal old patterns, wounds, habits, belief systems, and traumas.
What is in the Akashic Records?
You can visualize the Records as a massive library, with individual books representing each soul’s archive.
Through the Records, we can retrieve information about any conceivable topic and question. To do this, we must ask questions that are self-focused (meaning, focused on yourself and not on anyone else) and open-ended.
Reading the Akashic Records is not fortune-telling. The Records don’t like to give “yes” or “no” answers, which are too simplistic.
It’s also best to avoid predictive or time-specific questions such as “When will I meet my soulmate?” or “When will I get a promotion?”. Since you’re co-creating your reality with the Universe as you go along, there’s no certain future outcome that already exists and that can be predicted.
The answers you receive from the Records are often complex and nuanced. Besides, the Records want to empower you to make your own choices based on the information you receive. They will never make choices for you or impose on your free will.
What’s an Akashic Records Reading? What can I expect?
We might call an Akashic Records reading a “soul reading”.
No two Akashic Records readings will ever be the same, even for the same person.
Some readings are all about your past life experiences. Other readings are more focused on the present or possibilities for the future. Other readings can focus on a wide range of topics and issues, including:
- how to connect with your Spirit Guides more clearly
- how to work with your intuition
- how to release limiting beliefs and behaviors
- whether current habits and patterns originate in a past life (and why/how)
- whether you’ve made any past life contracts with someone you know in your current life
- how to release unhelpful past life vows (such as vows of obedience, poverty, suffering, self-punishment, and so on)
- how to heal old wounds and traumas
I invite you to listen to an episode of my podcast where I offer an inside look into an Akashic Records Healing Session. This in-depth interview with an actual client will help you get a behind-the-scenes understanding of what you might expect from this type of session:
Preparing for an Akashic Records Reading
In my work with clients, I don’t ask for too much advance preparation before a reading.
I do ask my clients to think about 1-3 pressing issues or questions they’d like to explore together. However, I don’t always need to know their questions in advance. I prefer to come to the reading as fresh as possible so I can allow the most relevant information and energy to come through in the moment, without any preconceived ideas or agendas.
Of course, you want to be receptive and open before your reading. This just means getting clear a day or a few hours prior to the reading. Meditate, pray, do yoga, don’t watch the news, do some journaling, eat clean food, don’t drink alcohol. Whatever works to clear your mind and open your heart to the information you’ll be receiving.
Also, don’t be nervous about receiving specific information about your job, relationship, marriage, life purpose, or any other question. Getting information about something doesn’t mean you have to act on it immediately. You might need to digest or think it over for a while.
The main purpose of the reading is to retrieve as much useful guidance as we can. This will enable you to make a more informed choice about the issue or situation you’re asking about.
Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself by thinking that if the Records tell you that your current job isn’t in your highest good, you will have to quit the next morning. Or that if your relationship isn’t aligned with you, you must break up or get divorced immediately.
You’re still in control of your life experience. Just gather the information and then use it as best you can, when you can.
Guidelines for Crafting Questions for the Akashic Records
When crafting questions to ask the Records, keep these 3 guidelines in mind:
- AVOID TIME-SPECIFIC OR FORTUNE-TELLING QUESTIONS
Time isn’t linear inside the Records. Once you’re in the energy of the Records, it feels as though many things are happening at the same time. This is why we can access information about past lives and also *possible* future outcomes. You might meet or see many different versions of yourself across time and space.
For this reason, it’s best to avoid time-specific questions.
– Poor question: When will I get a promotion at work?
– Better question: What can I do to open myself up to more responsibility (and financial abundance) at work?
- AVOID “SHOULD” QUESTIONS
The Records will never impose on your free will. They will also never make choices for you. So, it’s best to avoid questions that start with “should” or that give up your power of choice to the Records.
Shifting the word should into how, what, or why often leads to a much more productive question.
– Poor question: Should I change careers at this point in my life?
– Better question: Is my current career/profession aligned with me? If not, how can I find something more fulfilling and meaningful to me?
- BE MINDFUL OF URGENCY OR ATTACHMENT TO OUTCOME
Sometimes, you’ll come up with a question that feels very loaded. There might be a strong emotional charge behind the question. Or you might be really attached to getting a specific answer.
(This is normal and happens to all of us! It’s just a human thing.)
Make sure your intention for asking a question is as clear and open as possible. It’s also important to be mindful of any sense of urgency behind a question.
For example, asking “Will I meet the love of my life soon?” could be loaded with emotional attachments, urgency, and a strong desire to get a specific answer from the Records.
– Poor question: Will I meet the love of my life soon?
– Better question: What can I do to open myself to the energy of love and to feel complete with where I am right now?
The 28 Sample Questions
This list is broken down into 5 categories, with 3 bonus questions for general daily guidance at the end.
- Why are [person’s name] and I together in this lifetime?
- What am I meant to learn from this relationship?
- How can I better understand my past relationship patterns? How can I release dysfunctional relationship patterns?
- Have I made a past life contract with [person’s name]? If so, what are the terms of that contract?
- How can I open myself to the energy of love and feel more comfortable with giving and receiving in equal ways?
CAREER & FINANCES
- Is this career or work aligned with me at a soul level?
- How can I better align my soul purpose with my career?
- What’s limiting me from manifesting greater abundance?
- What money stories or patterns have I inherited from my family?
- What did I learn about career, success, and financial abundance from past life experiences?
For more on this category, read 30 Business Questions to Ask the Akashic Records.
- Am I carrying past life trauma that needs to be resolved? If so, what’s the nature of it?
- Which talents, gifts, or abilities did I develop in past lives?
- Is there a past life origin to the current issue or challenge I’m dealing with?
- Did I have a past life as a healer, mystic, visionary, or witch?
- Did I know [person’s name] in a past life? What was the nature of our relationship?
For more questions on this topic, read 15 Past Life Questions to Ask the Akashic Records.
- What can I do to become less reactive and more peaceful?
- How can I become more grounded and present in each moment?
- How can I connect to my Spirit Guides more deeply?
- Have I made a past life contract or vow of suppressing my spiritual gifts? If so, what are the terms of that contract and how can it be revoked?
- How can I integrate my spirituality and spiritual practices with my day-to-day life?
- What is this challenge or obstacle teaching me?
- How can I feel more complete or peaceful with where I am right now?
- How can I release feelings of shame, guilt, anger, etc? What are these feelings teaching me?
- How can I enforce stronger boundaries with family members? How can I say “no” without feeling guilty?
- What can I do to release this unhealthy pattern of [self-sabotage, procrastination, escapism, etc]?
BONUS QUESTIONS: GENERAL DAILY GUIDANCE
- What do I most need to know today?
- Where must I focus my attention today?
- How can I move through today with ease, grace, and effortlessness?
I hope these questions and guide will inspire you to work with the Records in a deeper way. And to craft your own illuminating questions!
If you’re interested in becoming a certified Akashic Records reader yourself, I invite you to explore my Akashic Records Certification Program.
Learn more about working with Josephine
Josephine's Akashic Record sessions are powerful and transformational. They cut right to the truth of the matter.